A couple of months ago I started a Whole30, and I've had such success with the program that I've decided to continue this whole-living lifestyle. I've even begun modifying and creating my own recipes! I was so inspired by this last receipe that I had to take out my big girl camera and photograph the end-result! Read on below for the recipe to what I call Whole30 Mango Chia Seed Pudding.
Whole30 Mango Chia Pudding
2-3 fresh mangos, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes 1 14-oz. can whole fat organic coconut milk 3 pitted dates 1/4 c. chia seeds 1/2 tsp vanilla extract Unsweetened coconut flakes Whole vanilla beans (optional)
1. In a food processor, blend the fresh mango until it forms a smooth purée. Divide the mixture evenly among two glass serving dishes and set in the fridge.
2. Rinse out the food processor, then use it to blend the coconut milk, dates, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour the sweetened coconut milk into a bowl.
3. Fold the chia seeds into the sweetened coconut milk until it becomes a thick pudding, stirring constantly for several minutes. Add ground whole vanilla, if desired. Then let stand for about 5 minutes to thicken.
4. Once the chia seed mixture has set, pour it on top of the mango purée, diving it up evenly among the two glass serving dishes.
5. Allow to set for at least a few hours in the fridge before serving. Ideally, overnight.
6. Once thickened to a pudding-like consistency, remove from fridge, let sit for about 30-minutes at room temperature. Serve with shredded coconut on top. Make a double batch for leftovers! It keeps in the fridge, covered, for up to 5 days.
Dates are an excellent way to naturally sweeten a recipe, totally Whole30 approved!
Gluten-free Chia seeds are a rich source of antioxidants and nutrients, including Omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. They also help contribute to satiety so you remain fuller longer.
Research has shown antioxidant compounds in mangoes have been found to protect against all kinds of cancer. There are a multitude of other health benefits in mangoes including lower cholesterol, clearer skin, improved eye health, and a boost in the immune system.